Where to File Paper Tax Returns With or Without a Payment in the USA: Individual Requirements

Even as the world is going digital, many Americans still choose to file their tax returns the old-fashioned way: on paper. If you’re among them, it’s crucial to know where to send your return, whether you’re making a payment or not. Here’s a guide to help you navigate this essential part of the process.

Individual Tax Returns by State

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has a different address for each state for individual tax returns. These addresses are used for filing forms like Form 1040, 1040-SR, 1040-ES, and 1040-V, along with amended returns and extensions.

Specific addresses are also provided for taxpayers living in foreign countries, U.S. possessions, or those with other international filing characteristics. The addresses for each state and specific filing scenarios can be found on the IRS website.

Using Private Delivery Services (PDS)

To assure that your tax return reaches the IRS safely and on time, you can use certain Private Delivery Services (PDS) designated by the IRS. These services meet the “timely mailing as timely filing/paying” rule for tax returns and payments. This means that if your tax return is postmarked by the due date, it’s considered to be filed on time, even if it’s received after the due date.

Different Forms, Different Addresses

Depending on the type of form you’re filing, the IRS provides various mailing addresses. Each form number has its own page on the IRS website, which provides the necessary address. Forms include the 1040 series (for individual taxpayers), 7004 (for business entities requesting an extension), and 941 (for employers to report income taxes, social security tax, or Medicare tax withheld from employee’s paychecks).

Tax Exempt and Government Entities

For tax-exempt and government entities, the IRS has specific filing addresses. These addresses differ from those used for individual and business tax returns. Again, the IRS website is the best source for these addresses.

International Filers

If you are a taxpayer or tax professional filing an individual federal tax return from outside the United States, you will also have specific filing addresses. These are grouped by the type of return being filed and can be found on the IRS website under the International filing section.

In conclusion, understanding where to send your tax return is a crucial part of the tax-filing process. Whether you’re an individual taxpayer, a tax-exempt entity, or an international filer, the IRS has specific guidelines about where to send your return. Always check the latest updates on the IRS website or consult with a tax professional to ensure you’re sending your documents to the right place.



Click one of our contacts below to chat on WhatsApp

× How can I help you